Policy Roundtable: Stepping up for bladder cancer patients in Europe.
On September 25, together with the European Association of Urology we were delighted to bring together key stakeholders for a policy roundtable hosted by MEP István Ujhelyi marking the launch of the European White Paper on Bladder Cancer.
Bladder cancer is the 5th most common cancer in Europe. Despite having one of the highest lifetime costs of any cancer, the research funding is among the lowest. Lack of bladder cancer awareness drastically hinders early detection, while insufficient understanding of the gender differences in bladder cancer symptoms further exacerbates the gender gap, leading to worse outcomes for women.
The event’s focal point was the presentation of the White Paper’s policy recommendations aimed at harnessing legislative opportunities and providing improved support to patients and carers impacted by bladder cancer in Europe.
The distinguished speakers shared their expertise including:
- Prof Hein Van Poppel, Chair of EAU Policy Office
- Alessandro Boni, Bladder cancer patient and advocate, Associazione PaLiNUro
- Antonella Cardone, CEO of Cancer Patient Europe
- Dr Wendy Yared, Director of the Association of European Cancer Leagues
- Claire Champeix, Policy Officer at Eurocarers
- Alex Filicevas, Executive Director of World Bladder Cancer Patient Coalition
- Lori Cirefice, Vice-president of WBCPC and President of Cancer Vessie France
Each speaker brought unique insights and perspectives to the table, contributing to a comprehensive discussion on how to address the challenges posed by bladder cancer at the European level and in the Member States.
We invite you to explore the first joint WBCPC and EAU white paper and discover policy actions which can tackle the unmet needs of bladder cancer patients in Europe today. The white paper aims at concerting actions to close the cancer care gap by supporting awareness and education and ensuring access to high-quality diagnosis, care, and treatment.Download White Paper